While cooking my way through Happy Herbivore’s and other vegan cookbooks, D and I have found some clear winners that we’ve repeated quite often.
1) Chili Sans Carne, Happy Herbivore Cookbook: It’s SO simple to make. It does take a little time, but the chili is delicious. The flavor is even better the second (and third) day too. Definitely a dish to make that will please everyone, even the omnivores. I like to garnish with Daiya Cheddar and Tofutti Sour Cream.
2) BBQ Beans and Rice, The McDougall Quick and Easy Cookbook: This is a simpler bean dish, only takes 15 minutes. I like to use Organicville BBQ Sauce, because as far as I can tell, it’s oil free. I serve over quinoa or brown rice.
3) Lasagna Rolls: Also from the HH Cookbook. I’ve blogged about these before. The rolls are a staple in our rotating weekly menus.
4) Hippie Loaf: And another favorite from the HH Cookbook. Also blogged about before. Super easy and super filling. A great winter dish. Perhaps I’ll make this tonight. Or another bowl of chili.
5) Tofu and Kale Stir Fry: My own recipe. It’s super easy and I make it in our new wok that we got for the wedding!
-Extra Firm Tofu – cubed
-Brown Sugar – I don’t really measure, maybe a couple tablespoons
-Vegetable broth – enough to line the pan and coat the tofu
Mix it all together in the wok. Stir around until tofu get a little golden. Serve over brown rice or quinoa. mmmm.
What’s your favorite Vegan meal?