My mom used to make this awesome Apricot Chicken, that was SO EASY. So, I took a stab at veganizing it.
The original recipe calls for:
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts (eww)
- One packet of Lipton Onion Soup Mix (accidentally vegan)
- One bottle of Russian or Catalina Dressing
- One jar of Apricot preserves
- Preheat oven to 375. Mix all ingredients together. Pour mixture over chicken. Cook for 30-45 minutes (Gosh, I don’t miss how long real chicken takes to cook).
So really, the only thing I needed to veganize was the Chicken. I opted to try Gardein’s Chickn Scallopini instead of the Chicken and adjusted the cook time in the on to 15-20 minutes.
I also love to make Mahatma Yellow Rice (also accidentally vegan, and gluten free!) to accompany this dish. It’s my favorite yellow rice, and I just substitute Earth Balance in place of butter in the recipe.
The recipe turned out pretty good, but to tell the truth, I’m not crazy about Gardein’s Scallopini. I love some of their other products, so I’d be curious what the recipe would taste like with their Chick’n Filets. I also think Seitan might be a good option to make this dish taste even better!